REPORTS FOCUSED ON WESLEY WOLVERINE SOFTBALL
AS WELL AS RELATED FASTPITCH NEWS & INFORMATION

Wesley softball homepage: athletics.wesley.edu/sports/sball/index

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

RBI AUSTIN

In the spirit of the holidays
Cat Osterman gives back,
working with inner city youth


RBI Austin is an affiliate of Major League Baseball's Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program (RBI) and serves youth ages 4 - 18 through baseball, softball and year-round mentoring. 



Cat Osterman
BELOW: National Pro Fastpitch (NPF) star Cat Osterman comments about inspiring young women to chase their dreams in the RBI Austin program...

____________________

...I joined forces with RBI Austin two years ago to bring the dream of playing softball to underprivileged young girls in Austin... 

Friday night of our series (USSSA Pride) with Chicago (Bandits) was deemed 'RBI Night.' Round Rock Express gave RBI players and parents tickets to the game, and we allowed them the chance to be on the field for pre-game introductions.

Cat Osterman poses with Wesley Wolverines after a USSSA 
Pride vs Pennsylvania Rebellion game earlier this year. 
In photo, from bottom counter-clockwise, junior #8 OF 
Steph Caracozza (Melbourne Beach, FL), sophomore #9 
P/OF Lily Engel (Dover, DE), junior #22 C/UT Morgan
 Seymour (Smyrna, DE), sophomore #18 C/3B Nina 
Marcano (Middletown, DE) and Cat Osterman.
The girls lined our exit to the dugout, and I cannot even put into words what I felt the first time I looked up before being introduced and seeing their smiling faces as they recognized me and cheered me on. Chills went through my body as I high fived and smiled back at them. To see these girls enjoy an opportunity they wouldn’t otherwise have was the best feeling in the world. I’m sure they all liked the pictures and autographs they got afterwards too! Events like these remind us how much more there is to our lives than just playing softball.

I can admit, I didn’t fully grasp the concept of being a role model when I was younger. However, over time, as we all grow and mature, I have fallen in love with the opportunity to give back and inspire a young girl to chase her dreams.

Cat Osterman, from her blog “Giving Back: Cat’s Corner Vol. 3” at http://usssapride.com/2014/12/01

 
Young members of RBI Austin got to attend a Pride and Bandit game 
at Dell Diamond and take part in pre-game festivities.

Photo and caption from Osterman blog “Giving Back: Cat’s Corner Vol. 3